101 North Main Street, Oxford, OH 45056 | 513-523-6364 | email@example.com
Mission and Outreach
Serving others, following our servant Savior,
we give our time, talent and resources to help bring the fullness of life to others.
A boat is safe in its harbor. However, for a boat to be a boat and fulfill it’s purpose in life the boat must leave the harbor and sail the seas. This analogy is one way of explaining how OPC looks at the ministry opportunities that happen outside of the local church. We believe that we are all called to our own form of ministry … those who teach will teach, those who preach will preach, those who exhort will exhort (paraphrase Romans, Chapter 12).
While we are always committed to the ministry, fellowship and faith sharing in our local church, we are equally committed to “leave the harbor and sail the seas”; to leave our local church setting and aid where aid is needed, befriend the friendless, and love all unequivocally.
- Missionary Visit to OPCThis Sunday we are honored to have a guest visitor to Oxford Presbyterian Church. The Miami Valley Presbytery is hosting Juan Sebastian Conde who…
- Materials for ColombiaIn a few weeks 10 missionaries from OPC will be traveling to our sister church in Barranquilla. In an effort to help the various…
- Mission and Outreach InvitationOverheard in the back halls of the church…. Hello, what are you doing?I’m lookingLooking for what?People.What people?People who want to help.Help what?The Mission And…
- Colombia Mission JourneyIn Matthew 25:35-40 Jesus states: “‘For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat’ … Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord,…
- Answering God’s Call through Local Mission PartnershipMission and Outreach, Through Your Generous Stewardship, Locally Supports: TOPSS (Talawanda Oxford Pantry and Social Services) along with the monthly Deacon food and dry…
The Mission and Outreach Committee:
being the hands and feet of Christ in the world!!
In 2016 Mission and Outreach/Oxford Presbyterian Church spent $17,389 and oversaw the distribution of $16,389 to the following Agencies and Programs:
- Clubhouse, a program for underserved youth in Oxford
- Oxford Community Adult Care
- Oxford Community Choice Pantry
- Oxford Family Resource Center
- OPC youth Mission Trip
- Kirkmont Youth Camp
- One Way Farm
- Oxford Free Clinic
- Safe Haven Farms
- Oxford Share Fest
- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
- Mercy Ships
- Health Kits for Disaster Assistance
- Bookends (Seminary students in Louisville)
- Youth trip to Ohio from Barranqullla
- Colombia and Goel Project- Colombia
- PCUSA Mission Projects
- Cook Native American Ministries
- Forman Christian College in India, and Clean Water Project.
- Ellen Smith (Russia)
- Mark Hare, Jenny Bent (Hatti)
- Josh Heikkila (Ghana)
- Kate Tabor (Israel/Palestine).
In addition to deciding how to best use the funds that our church should support our committee became involved in the project initiated by OPW that made plans to participate in the Disaster Assistance Program. Our committee organized youth and adults in our church to help collect of items needed for health kits and then place the items in kits that could be delivered to the PC national office in Arkansas. Our Committee also invited and hosted Igor Maksakov (Russian Partnership) in the summer of 2016. In addition our committee helped to support and host several youth to travel from Colombia to the USA in the summer of 2016 and 2017 that was arranged by the Presbytery.
Most recently in 2017, six members of our congregation made a trip to Barranquilla, Colombia and visited our sister church: The 7th Presbyterian Church of Barranquilla, Colombia ( see photos). It was an incredible trip and has greatly strengthened our partnership. See just a few of the photos of this visit with our sister church.
There are two subgroups under the Mission and Outreach Committee:
Mustard Seed Investment Group
Mustard Seed is an investment club within the church that looks to 1) invest members money, 2) donate the profits from those investments to worthy causes and 3) educate the members about the investing world. The group meets four times a year with each member giving $50 per meeting. Since starting in 2007, the group has grown their investments to over $27,000, and giving is now at $750 per year. We currently support Presbyterian Disaster Assistance and One Way Farm, a local home for children who have been taken out of difficult home situations.
This outreach committee sponsors and coordinates several outreach opportunities following Christ’s call to “feed my sheep” (John 21:17).
Oxford Community Dinners
The Peacemaking Committee is responsible for OPC’s participation in the Oxford Community Dinners. These dinners are held at a different location each Wednesday evening. OPC’s dinner is held the fifth Wednesday of the month at the Seminary Church.
OUTREACH THROUGH PCUSA
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance is part of OPC’s One Great Hour of Sharing offering. Presbyterian Disaster Assistance aids in response to disasters, whether natural or human-caused. Donations may be sent through these usual, mission giving channels:
- Credit Card by Phone: Gifts can be made by calling PresbyTel, 800-872-3283
- Credit Card Online: Gifts may be made by logging onto http://www.pcusa.org/pda/donate/accounts.htm
- Personal Check: Gifts may be sent, payable to PCUSA, by mailing them directly to:
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Central Receiving Services
100 Witherspoon Street
Louisville, KY 40202-1396
Over the years, many individuals and congregations have requested projects for alternative giving and/or other special giving opportunities to help disaster survivors. If you wish to designate a donation to go to a a specified cause, go to http://gamc.pcusa.org/give/